Last year our CTO and Customer support manager got together to funnel the requests that we get from our clients to learn the pattern of tasks or needs. What started as a resource tool to gather insights into tasks delegation and performance analytics turned out to be much more than a database of archives. Very soon they realized that it was a very ambitious project and could give us far more insight into “Outsourcing and the world of virtual assistants”.
This post is too small to discuss it all. But we would like to discuss the most important aspect of it all and that is “Are you ready to go Virtual?”
Business owners, busy moms, professionals, entrepreneurs, doctors and parents all have come to Tasks Everyday looking for immediate assistance. Your secretary called in sick and your calendar is in a mess, 4th of July is 2 days away and you still haven’t booked or planned your vacation that you promised your wife and kids, you are a start-up and tight budget constraints make your share of work pile increase by the minute and you have reached your breaking point. In all these scenarios there is one thing that is common- they all need HELP!
We have identified 5 signs that scream, “You need to outsource.”
- Being Busy is not enough, realization to get helped is a must before you take the plunge: We are all busy in our lives, so if you ask someone are you busy 9 out of 10 times the answer is going to be a big YES! It is important that you realize that you don’t have to do all the tasks you can do, rather you should be focusing on the tasks that you rather should do.
- Are you a do-it-all-yourself person? And have realized that its time to delegate as you have simply more than you can handle on your plate: It is important that you have made a conscious decision that there is someone out there who can take care of the mundane, overbearing, time consuming tasks that you loathe or do not have the time to do yourself. This someone is not going to be as good as you are in getting these tasks done in the beginning and might need your support to understand your tasks and know you better. Don’t compare yourself to your virtual employee. You have been doing these tasks for years and are off course much better trained. Your virtual assistant is your helping hand to make your life easier and free up your time.
- Technical tasks that need a new skill to be learnt: It is important as individuals that we grow ourselves, our technical and personal skills everyday. Technology is growing leaps and bounds everyday and once in a while you will come across the need to hire a technical assistant who can decipher it and do the work. Hiring technical help can be very tricky. Whether you are an excellent programmer and need someone to take care of those mundane scripts that need testing and validation checks for errors , or you are a busy doctor who just doesn’t have the time to make your website or appointment forms yourself so your patients can fill those up before they show up, we all need technical assistance once in a while.
- Are you “upto-your –neck” and miss out on important family gatherings, meeting your friends and skip your yoga class on more occasions than one as an important assignment just came up: Having too much work to do is not a cool thing anymore. Maintaining a healthy work life balance is important, enjoying the simple things that life has to offer is equally important as your database updates, neglecting either of the two is not an option. Its about time that you delegate your repetitive tasks like updating your database, online research, filling reports, managing your social media posts, managing your calendar etc.
Hiring a Virtual assistant is a lifestyle choice, it allows you to maintain healthy work-life balance, delegate your tasks effectively, indulge in activities that add meaning to your life. We would love to hear your story about your “Help! Moment that prompted you to go Virtual.”
Time and again we try to emphasize the beauty of virtual personal assistants and there is no single list that can outline the tasks that they can help you with. They are your lifestyle managers and their role in your life goes far beyond than making reservations at your favorite restaurant.
We often say it’s the little things that matter. When you first start working with your assistant, define clearly what needs to be done and what are the goals you are trying to achieve. You can start by sending smaller tasks first that are straightforward like basic research and working on some pending documents or sheets that you haven’t gotten around to doing them. As you keep sending the tasks that you hate to do or don’t have the time or skill to your VPA, you will see the pile of tasks that you had burdened yourself with, is getting shorter. The weight is lifted off your shoulders and you will find yourself in a very calm productive space.
As your relationship grows with your Assistant just like any other employee at your workspace, you will find yourself delegating more tasks and allow yourself to concentrate on the major chunk of your business.
Small list of tasks that your Virtual Personal assistant can do for you
- Research: Do preliminary research for your blog posts, projects, or finding the best services or products that you asked them to.
- Managing your calendar: They make sure you are never late for an appointment or a meeting. They schedule, re-schedule, confirm and update. If you are in recruitment industry you can definitely use a VPA to organize the meetings and interviews.
- Comparative research on products and services, so that you get the most bang for your buck, finding the best deals that you can lay your hands on.
- Work on your database and make sure it’s always updated, so that you never loose out on your potential customers.
- Work on your spreadsheets, word docs, excels and all those receipts that need to be filled and we know how much you hate doing that!
- Remind you it is your sister’s birthday, send flowers and win you extra brownie points with your mom!
- Give you an unbiased honest opinion about your latest strategy or podcast. Sometimes your friends are too polite to point out your mistakes.
- Take care of some technical issues, like fixing up your website, designing your brand’s Facebook and twitter page etc. Your VPA has access to a swivel of virtual assistants with different talent and skills. If they are too technical and beyond their expertise, your assistant can just send an email to the concerned team and have your tasks done, without you having to worry about a thing.
- Remind you, that you need to pat yourself in the back more often and take a break. Enjoy your time and be more Productive.
This is not all and I am sure you understand that the value of a quality virtual assistant cannot be pointed out in one blog post. What ever your goals or business, we all can experience the joy of having our own VPA and once you start delegating, you will find its hard to let go!