It was a lovely day yesterday, what makes some days more special than others is when we get to have one of our clients visit us. Before we talk about the visit and how immensely happy her Virtual assistant was to meet her in person, a little about Tina.
Being a mom and a successful entrepreneur had her wearing too many hats at all times. Meeting her prospective clients, preparing newer strategies, keeping with latest marketing trends, updating her social media accounts and checking emails. And then there is always something that is urgent and needs to be taken care of right away which throws your calendar and all your planning for a toss. She knew she had to do something about this. Her hectic schedule was taking toll on her health and personal relationships. She wanted to go on a vacation with her daughter but she just didn’t have the time.
Hiring a virtual assistant was a big step for her. Trusting someone, whom she never met with her everyday work, create reports, do research for her latest marketing strategy, and manage other business and personal tasks was a giant leap for her. It took time for her to realize that it was time to have someone else do the job while she can monitor the final report and not do it all herself. Delegating tasks initially needs planning and after a while you get used to the concept and that’s when you realize the true potential of virtual freedom.
Brijesh is her Personal assistant, having spoken too each other on countless occasions he knew her just like he knows his neighbors. From her favorite coffee Macchiato to her latest presentation, he is the know it all guy. When starbucks opened in Mumbai near our office, he was one of the first one’s to go get himself a taste of their macchiato!
What makes him a valuable asset is his teamwork. He co-ordinates with her in-house team and take care of all the tasks, of team members. He is a common denominator in the equation. Tasks Everyday doesn’t limit the use of a virtual assistant with one individual. Just like any family or a business set up, each and every member works in collaboration with each other, it stays the same in virtual set up as well.
Nurturing lasting relationships in this virtual world comes naturally to us human beings. When Tina had to travel to India from USA with her daughter, she knew she wouldn’t be alone in this journey. Brijesh took care of booking travel, giving her the insiders scoop, even talking to her cab driver in local language to make sure she gets best travel deals, places to visit and not to visit and plan her day, all was taken care of. They have a rapport with each other that comes with trust and time.
Tina and her daughter had fabulous time in India they visited Jaipur, Agra, Delhi , Kerala and on her way back she made a stop at Mumbai to meet Brijesh. When they met they discussed about work delegation, travel stories and how she found India so different and mystic that you have to see it to believe it. Discussions continued over Chinese food and how thrilled she was to finally have this time off away from her work and finally make this trip with her daughter. They had quality time with each other and more importantly Tina did not have to worry about on what was going on back home at work, as she knew it was taken care off!
The other day I was reading this great article by Richard Branson on art of delegation. He made many good points but one point that stuck with me was “Work On–not–in your business”. It seemed to characterize the young entrepreneurs of today so well. When we look at all the successful entrepreneurs, we think of them as no less than super humans with capabilities of juggling 100 balls at one time. And then we think to ourselves, well they have a team of professionals helping them at each and every point and that’s why they can do that, but poor me-Pour me a drink!
What we need to realize is they were at one time in the past just like us – A START-Up. With limited resources, ambitious ideas, in love with what they did and had so much trust in what they believed in that it almost hurt. Tasks Everyday wants to help you tap into your niche market focus your precious time on tasks that matter the most.
3 great takeaway tips from these Entrepreneurs:
- Work On-not–In your business: It seems impossible at first, but if you think about it as your business grows, it attracts more responsibilities and that means more work. You need to find ways to get the work flow moving without loosing your key focus and that is Growth.
- Keep your strategies alive: When you are first starting out , there are so many things that you want to do and you are limited by your resources, money and time. But after a while when the first 2 are not the limiting factors, more often than not, Time is what keeps you from not getting to those important key strategies that you wanted to focus on in the beginning. So what is that you are doing to make more time? Have you heard of delegation, it is the key to manage, keep track and achieve those goals that you have set for yourself and your business.
- Don’t micromanage – Start delegating your tasks to your virtual assistant: We as humans have a basic instinct to be in control. We want to call the shots. We like you to focus on key policies or outcomes that help you with growing your company. But most of the time we want to control the outcomes and decide the policies for a) tasks that we don’t have the expertise for, b) are not that important anyways. Whatever may be the scenario, you need to learn to delegate and give the reigns to people who know what they are doing and let them be.
Virtual assistant is a widely under-rated service that can be used by young and seasoned entrepreneurs alike to save their precious time. What you need to do is start delegating and take a leap to be the next super hero entrepreneur. Want to know more how your executive assistant can help you live the good life! Get in touch with Tasks Everyday now.
Suppose your goal is to climb to the peak of a mountain and there is no trail to follow. General rule will be to start climbing towards the top until you come across an obstacle you can’t cross and then follow it around to the right until you are on your path again. But that would be the times of Galileo. We have technology, maps, GPS tracking devices and whatnot to make the trek as pleasant as possible. But even with all the gadgets in the world, there can arise a situation that you cannot predict or have a solution for. And this can or usually happens in our life on daily basis. Our situations or problems are not as big as climbing to the top of a peak but what’s important is how we overcome those and stay on our path while keeping our goals realistic.
Productivity defines us as who we are. It helps us getting our tasks done. Some of us are more productive than others. It is based on our efficiency. How do we manage our tasks and how efficient we are at arriving solutions defines our productivity. Here is a list of patterns in delegating tasks to your personal assistant to help increase your productivity.
- Set Daily goals: Identify the tasks that need to be done on a daily basis, which are repetitive in nature. Delegate them to your personal assistant and set timelines.
- Identify your worst fears: There is always that one task, that research report you have been delaying forever, or some database formatting that you hate to do and it always stays at the back of your head. Tackle it first. This should be the first task that you should assign to your assistant. You will be so glad that you took the bull from his horns. Once done you can now work at peace.
- Batching similar tasks: Group together tasks that are similar in nature or go hand in hand with each other. It will save your assistant a lot of time in grouping it together for you. Data mining and data entry should go together. Assign time your assistant should be spending on research and then compiling it all together before the end of shift same day.
- Reduce your stress: Relaxed body and mind are bliss. Free mind is a hub of creation. If you have a personal assistant who can save time from your busy schedule, you will find yourself in that cone of creation.
- Don’t succumb to distractions: Sticking with a plan is important. Set targets and clear focus to get your tasks done. Try sending detailed your instructions in the beginning of delegating your tasks, you will have less to worry and monitor if you had explained yourself clearly in the beginning.
- Set Deadlines and goals: Before you know it, your assistant will start holding you accountable for all the commitments and promises you made. You will be pushed to do more when you know someone is holding you accountable.
- Optimize your delegating definites: Each task and process is a learning process. Improvise your method of delegation if you think one set of rules work better than the second. All processes improve with time if optimized.
- Slice and Dice: Break bigger projects into smaller well-defined tasks. You will accomplish more by working on big tasks in parts then boring yourself and your assistant with one long never ending task.
- Maintain the rhythm: It is important to maintain the continuity. At end of each shift, remember to set tasks that your assistant should be tackling first thing in morning. Assign enough time to prepare for the task ahead of time.
- Rewards for achievement: Don’t forget to thank your assistant. Little appreciation goes a long way in boasting the morale of your virtual assistant.
Its time to realize that its better to let go of small and repetitive time consuming tasks and have someone else, capable someone, to work on those tasks for you, so that you can have a clear mind and focus on what’s really important. Be your productive best!
Our clients most often ask us this question “What’s the best way to use virtual assistant services?”
We have had clients work from their office space to coffee tables to their garage. With each client, differs their work style, what they do, their priorities, and most importantly the tasks that they need help with. They do have one thing in common “They all need help”.
Having an assistant work for you efficiently is a two way process just like any relationship. It’s a commitment on your side and from your assistant to have this relationship flourish and grow stronger, day-by-day to month by month. The one basic underlined factor that defines all these relationships is Delegation.
There are few principles, which we have outlined to help you delegate better and make the most of the virtual assistant service.
- The first step is acceptance of change: We are the restless kind, always in a hurry, know what we want and how to do it. But the key issue is, most often than not, we don’t think anyone can do what we do as efficiently as us. What you need to understand is you’ve been doing the things your way and now is the time, to have someone else do them for you, by delegating effectively and managing them, which will eventually save you time and energy. Now that’s the target that we need to achieve. Once you have identified that you need to reach this target, everything else comes easy.
- Patience: It isn’t called a virtue for no reason. You need to understand that your assistant is not good as you. He/ she will take more time to do what you can do in 10 minutes, that’s why he is your assistant and not the other way around. Give it a cooling off time. let your assistant know your work style and understand your priorities. Your target is not to save 10 minutes today, it is to save hours worth of time and energy in the long run.
- Definites: Make a list of tasks that you don’t like to do, and a list of tasks that are repetitive. If the process of repetitive tasks is outlined for your assistant to follow, and you assign him clear goals. It becomes very easy for your virtual assistant to follow and do those tasks as asked. With each task, set. Once you know, you have your assistant waiting for you to delegate tasks, it will make you more inclined to give off some of your work to him. Assigning tasks on a daily basis, frees up your time and let’s you live better.
- Set deadlines: Setting up time frame is very important to make the most out of your virtual assistant service. It is also easy to track progress with clear cuts and deadlines in place.
- Manage and feedback: In the initial phase you need to monitor and give feedback to your assistant. It’s like hand holding a child before he starts running on his own. Not overdoing it, but having him know you are watching his back
- Maintaining the commitment: Once you have gone through the first 5 steps, all you need to do is maintain this relationship. You will realize how easy it is to get your tasks done by a virtual assistant and manage them ongoing. Something you didn’t know was possible in he beginning you now see is achievable.
The key here is to make this relationship work for you, so that you can enjoy your life doing what you love to do. Going fishing with your son, catch up with your friends more often, take that holiday you always dreamed of, or introduce that new product or service into your business that you didn’t have time to develop earlier.
Whatever may be your goal, your virtual assistant’s aim is to help you achieve that!
Most people have gotten to where they are good at what they do. And have a fear that others might not match their abilities. In running a successful business, it is imperative that to continue the growing pattern we need to replace that fear with trust.
Delegation: As some might think it’s a fine balance that needs to be hung on to, it isn’t anything like walking a tight rope. It is more of habit that needs to be made a part of your everyday life. And as you do it more often you become good at it, just like picking the right shirt for your work everyday. it isn’t rocket science , it just needs a little thought and organization.
Why you need to delegate: You are so busy at work, watching everyone else’s back have you ever thought who is watching yours? So that one day that you want to take an off, the world doesn’t go to hell.
If you think you are working terribly long hours and feel totally indispensable to do anything else, it is one of the signs that is telling you to start delegating.
Your work style is your choice and habit. Most of the times, the more intelligent individuals often overestimate themselves and take up on more work than they can chew. One reason why they do that – is simple truth, they are good at what they do. Well, that isn’t a bad thing right! But what you need to understand is , while you are burdening yourself with more tasks , have you lost track of the broader goals that you wanted to achieve and getting buried in doing other stuff. The stuff that is repetitive and can be done by someone else. All you need to do is DELEGATE.
It allows time for today’s entrepreneurs, business owners and professionals to think on long-term business and development strategies for their personal and overall growth.
After you have realized that you need help, the second step is to identify tasks that you can delegate efficiently to your virtual assistant and then making delegation a habit.
You need to integrate delegation into what you already do. Make it your habit and let it grow.
What tasks can you Delegate: We as individuals, business owners, busy professionals know our everyday drill. What’s expected out of us and we know exactly how to deliver it.
- Repetitive tasks: Making charts, sheets, reports, entering data. Administrative assistants at Tasks Everyday are trained and experienced in handling such tasks.
- Research tasks: You need someone to go through tons of information available out there and make clear reports, organize it for you.
- Tasks that need a specific skill: Yes, you are talented and can do this on your own if you had the time to learn it or master it, but why not have someone else do it, who is good at it and does it for a living. Like making a website, setting up your blog etc. why not have your web virtual assistant do this for you instead. While you concentrate on business development, increasing sales and working on newer strategies for your online business.
- Mundane tasks: Why not has your personal assistant do those tasks for you. It might take longer than if you had to it yourself, but in the end, It did save you time and got your work done. Isn’t that we are trying to achieve – free up our valuable time and money. Personal assistants at Tasks Everyday are the right fit.
All those tasks that can be done by following a set of instructions, monitored by simple checkpoints, and saves you time can be delegated very efficiently. You do not need a magic wand for that to happen, many business and individuals like yourself are making the most of this by hiring the right virtual assistant from the pool of skill sets that tasks everyday has to offer.
Delegating is the efficient way of living, want to know more, keep reading…
We want our clients to find better ways to use the service (more on how to delegate and finding the right resource in future posts), and how to become a pro!
Let’s face it, we all have more tasks on our hand to do than the hours in a day. Whether you are a small business owner, homestay mom, busy professional or a college student. There is always so much to do. We wait for the weekend to unwind plus do the chores and tasks that you couldn’t get to during the week. With increasing tasks and commitments that we have in our life , our To-do-lists keep on increasing and we are running to make for the time lost.
For a small medium business owner, you are so busy doing the work that you do for your clients that your own business tasks are left in the backburner. As time goes by we end having contacts and database that is outdated and needs work, balance sheets that need to be filled, websites that are outdated and you haven’t got the time to have that special feature or product you wanted to showcase, do some research for your products and market research to keep a tab on your competitors. Well the list is never ending and we need that extra pair of hands without cutting a hole in our pockets. What you need is a fix and not a solution and that what Tasks Everyday offers.
Dedicated assistants at Tasks Everyday can help you with all the tasks listed above and lot more. Your Business Executive assistant does the work that you didn’t have the time to do, while you can concentrate to do what you like to do the most , that is being productive , achieve more and more importantly enjoy your life!
Few questions that you might need answers to before taking the leap to a remote executive assistant :
- I don’t have the time to train anyone on what needs to be done: At Tasks Everyday, this never happens. As we pick the right resource for you from our team of dedicated assistants, who work from our own office facility and are not freelancers. We know there expertise and experience, we always match the tasks to an assistant who has worked on similar projects before. If something that you are doing caters to a very niche market, training someone now for an hour or less each day for few days will save you much more time overall, if you had to do those tasks yourself.
- Security of my data and contacts: All our employees work from our own office facility and there are state of the art security measures in place, to ensure your data is secure and confidential.
- Why I need a remote assistant: Well firstly because it’s cost effective and you don’t have to worry about overheads, benefits or long term contracts. Tasks Everyday does not bind you to a contract.
For more information on hiring an executive assistant visit Tasks Everyday, and take the first step to revolutionize the way you work today!