Exploring multiple passions while doing your everyday job is not an easy feat. When you are in college, you have the opportunity to explore your passions. If you like to plan parties, love reading and have awesome singing skills you can manage all three by joining different clubs and get to do what you love all at the same time. Then eventually the corporate world catches up to us.
Everyday 9-5-work schedule and our busy lives do not leave us with much time to combine our passions into one career. And we think to ourselves only if I had more time!
Escape the 9-5 grind!
When we first started out with virtual assistant service back on 2003, we didn’t realize the impact that a va can have on the lives of our clients and the freedom that having one gives them in their daily lives. It is only after Tim Ferris wrote about it in New York Times bestseller “4-hour work week” that people realized the power of working with remote employees. You are no longer a slave to your traditional work hours or your office space. All you need is Internet connectivity and your laptop and you can practically manage your business from anywhere in the world and Tim not only writes about it but also practices what he preaches.
Freedom to choose your workers, their timings and skills
In a traditional set up you would have to interview individuals, go through their resumes, negotiate the salaries, offer benefits and workspace and all added extra costs. So if you had work that did not need someone full time, you were stuck with not so diligent or skilled workers or had to pay more to get your job done. This isn’t the scenario with virtual assistants. How does working with Virtual assistants give you freedom:
- You are the Boss and have the flexibility to choose your assistant from a pool of talented individuals, work hours in terms of how much work you need to get done and pay for it without having to worry about the overheads.
- You no longer are limited to do what you like to do by not having people with right skills to work for you. You can hire across various talent pools, irrespective of your physical location and get your work done.
With more time at your hands, new opportunities and a world of possibilities open up. With the freedom to choose your own location/workspace, be it the beach or a cafe, along with the flexibility to choose your team, a window to new creative solutions is created. Newer thoughts and rejuvenated thinking process stems to processes and solutions that are more cost effective and creative. Your mind is now free to explore the creative edge and passions that were hidden earlier.
If you are looking for a virtual assistant, who is talented, smart and loves to help clients by making them more time to do what they love to do, you can sign up now and experience the world of 4 hour work week!
Suppose your goal is to climb to the peak of a mountain and there is no trail to follow. General rule will be to start climbing towards the top until you come across an obstacle you can’t cross and then follow it around to the right until you are on your path again. But that would be the times of Galileo. We have technology, maps, GPS tracking devices and whatnot to make the trek as pleasant as possible. But even with all the gadgets in the world, there can arise a situation that you cannot predict or have a solution for. And this can or usually happens in our life on daily basis. Our situations or problems are not as big as climbing to the top of a peak but what’s important is how we overcome those and stay on our path while keeping our goals realistic.
Productivity defines us as who we are. It helps us getting our tasks done. Some of us are more productive than others. It is based on our efficiency. How do we manage our tasks and how efficient we are at arriving solutions defines our productivity. Here is a list of patterns in delegating tasks to your personal assistant to help increase your productivity.
- Set Daily goals: Identify the tasks that need to be done on a daily basis, which are repetitive in nature. Delegate them to your personal assistant and set timelines.
- Identify your worst fears: There is always that one task, that research report you have been delaying forever, or some database formatting that you hate to do and it always stays at the back of your head. Tackle it first. This should be the first task that you should assign to your assistant. You will be so glad that you took the bull from his horns. Once done you can now work at peace.
- Batching similar tasks: Group together tasks that are similar in nature or go hand in hand with each other. It will save your assistant a lot of time in grouping it together for you. Data mining and data entry should go together. Assign time your assistant should be spending on research and then compiling it all together before the end of shift same day.
- Reduce your stress: Relaxed body and mind are bliss. Free mind is a hub of creation. If you have a personal assistant who can save time from your busy schedule, you will find yourself in that cone of creation.
- Don’t succumb to distractions: Sticking with a plan is important. Set targets and clear focus to get your tasks done. Try sending detailed your instructions in the beginning of delegating your tasks, you will have less to worry and monitor if you had explained yourself clearly in the beginning.
- Set Deadlines and goals: Before you know it, your assistant will start holding you accountable for all the commitments and promises you made. You will be pushed to do more when you know someone is holding you accountable.
- Optimize your delegating definites: Each task and process is a learning process. Improvise your method of delegation if you think one set of rules work better than the second. All processes improve with time if optimized.
- Slice and Dice: Break bigger projects into smaller well-defined tasks. You will accomplish more by working on big tasks in parts then boring yourself and your assistant with one long never ending task.
- Maintain the rhythm: It is important to maintain the continuity. At end of each shift, remember to set tasks that your assistant should be tackling first thing in morning. Assign enough time to prepare for the task ahead of time.
- Rewards for achievement: Don’t forget to thank your assistant. Little appreciation goes a long way in boasting the morale of your virtual assistant.
Its time to realize that its better to let go of small and repetitive time consuming tasks and have someone else, capable someone, to work on those tasks for you, so that you can have a clear mind and focus on what’s really important. Be your productive best!