When it comes to have someone else take over the work that you do everyday and help you, most of us have insecurities. The biggest motivator of these insecurities is the reason that you believe no one can do it better than you do and you can’t trust anyone else with your work. Or they can stem from a protective nature of human beings and that is to stay in control. You don’t want to share and take pride in being the multi tasker you are even if it comes at a cost of your personal and creative work time.
Acceptance: You know the hours in a day cannot expand, and you need more hands to do what’s on your plate. The facts and your to –do list are constantly sending you signals that you need extra set hands to get your tasks done. To achieve the work-life balance, there needs to be effective delegation in place where you lie at the top of task pyramid taking care of tasks that are of utmost importance and yield more productivity. Having someone else to work for you doesn’t mean loosing control. It puts in charge and increases efficiency.
Evaluate your ROI: When you are burning the mid night oil doing the endless research you need for your marketing strategy, ask yourself if it would have been of any help if someone complied the research for you. It is time to unburden your tasks that are repetitive, time consuming to focus on the big picture. Having an assistant do your scheduling, filling reports, research tasks and other tasks that minimize your costs by giving you more time. Low end tasks and even the high value work such as making your business website can be delegated effectively. Tasks that are high in value need a specific skill, to develop and master a new skill that will need the accomplishment of this task takes far more time and money investment than having your assistant work on it while you call the shots.
Knowing what to delegate and to whom: There is a reason why Tasks Everyday offers virtual assistants by skill set. As an Admin assistant wouldn’t know about book keeping, your internet marketing assistant wouldn’t know to update your customer database as quickly as your admin va. There are no Super va’s who are master of all skills! Best practice is to hire an assistant with specific skill set. Make best of your assistant’s skills by delegating the tasks that fit his scope of work. Assign the low value tasks in the beginning; give time to your assistant to know you and your work style. Streamline the process as you get know each other. Be as descriptive as possible and outline the steps that they need to follow. Be reasonable in your expectations and do not compare yourself with your assistant.
Why we emphasized on ROI is because you need to carefully evaluate what you should be focusing on and spending your energy on rather then being overwhelmed and stressed about tasks that can easily be delegated. In the end however the choice to overcome the fear of delegation and getting more done each day is yours!
Our clients most often ask us this question “What’s the best way to use virtual assistant services?”
We have had clients work from their office space to coffee tables to their garage. With each client, differs their work style, what they do, their priorities, and most importantly the tasks that they need help with. They do have one thing in common “They all need help”.
Having an assistant work for you efficiently is a two way process just like any relationship. It’s a commitment on your side and from your assistant to have this relationship flourish and grow stronger, day-by-day to month by month. The one basic underlined factor that defines all these relationships is Delegation.
There are few principles, which we have outlined to help you delegate better and make the most of the virtual assistant service.
- The first step is acceptance of change: We are the restless kind, always in a hurry, know what we want and how to do it. But the key issue is, most often than not, we don’t think anyone can do what we do as efficiently as us. What you need to understand is you’ve been doing the things your way and now is the time, to have someone else do them for you, by delegating effectively and managing them, which will eventually save you time and energy. Now that’s the target that we need to achieve. Once you have identified that you need to reach this target, everything else comes easy.
- Patience: It isn’t called a virtue for no reason. You need to understand that your assistant is not good as you. He/ she will take more time to do what you can do in 10 minutes, that’s why he is your assistant and not the other way around. Give it a cooling off time. let your assistant know your work style and understand your priorities. Your target is not to save 10 minutes today, it is to save hours worth of time and energy in the long run.
- Definites: Make a list of tasks that you don’t like to do, and a list of tasks that are repetitive. If the process of repetitive tasks is outlined for your assistant to follow, and you assign him clear goals. It becomes very easy for your virtual assistant to follow and do those tasks as asked. With each task, set. Once you know, you have your assistant waiting for you to delegate tasks, it will make you more inclined to give off some of your work to him. Assigning tasks on a daily basis, frees up your time and let’s you live better.
- Set deadlines: Setting up time frame is very important to make the most out of your virtual assistant service. It is also easy to track progress with clear cuts and deadlines in place.
- Manage and feedback: In the initial phase you need to monitor and give feedback to your assistant. It’s like hand holding a child before he starts running on his own. Not overdoing it, but having him know you are watching his back
- Maintaining the commitment: Once you have gone through the first 5 steps, all you need to do is maintain this relationship. You will realize how easy it is to get your tasks done by a virtual assistant and manage them ongoing. Something you didn’t know was possible in he beginning you now see is achievable.
The key here is to make this relationship work for you, so that you can enjoy your life doing what you love to do. Going fishing with your son, catch up with your friends more often, take that holiday you always dreamed of, or introduce that new product or service into your business that you didn’t have time to develop earlier.
Whatever may be your goal, your virtual assistant’s aim is to help you achieve that!
Most people have gotten to where they are good at what they do. And have a fear that others might not match their abilities. In running a successful business, it is imperative that to continue the growing pattern we need to replace that fear with trust.
Delegation: As some might think it’s a fine balance that needs to be hung on to, it isn’t anything like walking a tight rope. It is more of habit that needs to be made a part of your everyday life. And as you do it more often you become good at it, just like picking the right shirt for your work everyday. it isn’t rocket science , it just needs a little thought and organization.
Why you need to delegate: You are so busy at work, watching everyone else’s back have you ever thought who is watching yours? So that one day that you want to take an off, the world doesn’t go to hell.
If you think you are working terribly long hours and feel totally indispensable to do anything else, it is one of the signs that is telling you to start delegating.
Your work style is your choice and habit. Most of the times, the more intelligent individuals often overestimate themselves and take up on more work than they can chew. One reason why they do that – is simple truth, they are good at what they do. Well, that isn’t a bad thing right! But what you need to understand is , while you are burdening yourself with more tasks , have you lost track of the broader goals that you wanted to achieve and getting buried in doing other stuff. The stuff that is repetitive and can be done by someone else. All you need to do is DELEGATE.
It allows time for today’s entrepreneurs, business owners and professionals to think on long-term business and development strategies for their personal and overall growth.
After you have realized that you need help, the second step is to identify tasks that you can delegate efficiently to your virtual assistant and then making delegation a habit.
You need to integrate delegation into what you already do. Make it your habit and let it grow.
What tasks can you Delegate: We as individuals, business owners, busy professionals know our everyday drill. What’s expected out of us and we know exactly how to deliver it.
- Repetitive tasks: Making charts, sheets, reports, entering data. Administrative assistants at Tasks Everyday are trained and experienced in handling such tasks.
- Research tasks: You need someone to go through tons of information available out there and make clear reports, organize it for you.
- Tasks that need a specific skill: Yes, you are talented and can do this on your own if you had the time to learn it or master it, but why not have someone else do it, who is good at it and does it for a living. Like making a website, setting up your blog etc. why not have your web virtual assistant do this for you instead. While you concentrate on business development, increasing sales and working on newer strategies for your online business.
- Mundane tasks: Why not has your personal assistant do those tasks for you. It might take longer than if you had to it yourself, but in the end, It did save you time and got your work done. Isn’t that we are trying to achieve – free up our valuable time and money. Personal assistants at Tasks Everyday are the right fit.
All those tasks that can be done by following a set of instructions, monitored by simple checkpoints, and saves you time can be delegated very efficiently. You do not need a magic wand for that to happen, many business and individuals like yourself are making the most of this by hiring the right virtual assistant from the pool of skill sets that tasks everyday has to offer.
Delegating is the efficient way of living, want to know more, keep reading…
We want our clients to find better ways to use the service (more on how to delegate and finding the right resource in future posts), and how to become a pro!